Beverley General (Methodist) Cemetery
Lance, Rev Alfred Josiah 1879-1919
Reverend Lance came to WA from NSW under engagement to the Methodist Church. He served at various churches before coming to Beverley in April 1918. He died some 18 months later of the pandemic, Pneumonic Influenza, leaving a widow and five small children.
Potts, Robert Samuel 1866-1942
Robert was the son of Richard and Alicia Potts and born on The Dale property named "Woonderlin". He inherited his father's farm "Hillhead" also in The Dale and on its sale bought "Collingrove", five miles east of Beverley, where the road past the farm is named for the family.
Speed, John Mitchell 1900-1936
John was born in Scotland and came to Beverley in 1925. He worked on various properties in the district before marrying his Scottish bride in 1934. His last employment was at "Ferndale", where he sustained a wound on his leg while working with a harvester. He died of septicaemia in the Beverley Hospital a fortnight later.
Beverley General (Catholic) Cemetery
Blechynden, Mary Ann (nee Reilly) 1851-1924
Mary was born in Dublin, the eldest daughter of Corporal John Reilly, of the 57th Foot Regiment. Mary came to WA on the transport ship "Sultana" with her parents when she was 12 years old. She married H G Blechynden from Bally Bally and later lived with her family on "Erindale" farm near Mt Kokeby. One of Beverley's small rural schools was named "Erindale".
McInerheney, Mary 1844-1916 & Thomas 1832-1916
Both Mr & Mrs McInerheney were born in County Clare, Ireland, married in South Australia in 1870, and moved to a farm in East Beverley toward end of the C19th. The family took an active part in the public life of Beverley through the Catholic Church, horse-racing, and fundraising activities such as balls & assemblies. Family members took on the position of Secretary for organisations.
Moulton, Annie Maria (nee Otway) 1874-1935
Annie Maria was the youngest child of Thomas and Mary Otway who farmed "Tillabidden" on the Dale River. Her father, an educated Irishmen, wrote letters for the district, but died suddenly when Annie Maria was only one year old. Annie Maria was educated in Beverley and married Louis Moulton, of West Dale, in the old Catholic church in Dawson St, now a private home.
Mother Mary Stanislaus 1856-1921
Mother Mary was born Annie Houlahan in Hay NSW, becoming a nun in 1890. She lived the last 17 years of her life in WA, mostly in Beverley. She was put in charge of the Presentation Convent when it opened in 1909. At her funeral a large procession went along the streets from the Sacred Heart Church to the cemetery headed by the altar boys bearing a Crucifix.
St Paul's Cemetery, Edwards Crossing (5k north Beverley - just off Route120 other side Avon River)
Adamson, Mary (nee Lukin) 1876-1944
Mary was born at "Haisthorpe" a few miles north of Beverley to Henry and Rachel Lukin and educated at home with her remaining 12 brothers and sisters. She was christened, married and buried at St Pauls. She became a young widow but took on running "Haisthorpe", as well as involving herself in community affairs, especially the CWA. A Rockingham holiday home and a student's hostel in Northam bear her name.
Edwards, William 1792-1865 & Eleanor (nee Ayling) 1798-1871
William was a rifleman in the 95th Regiment who took part in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He married Eleanor two years later in the town of Speldhurst, Kent. They arrived in WA aboard the "Rockingham". When they acquired a farm in Beverley in mid-1840s they named it "Speldhurst".
Beverley Anglican Cemetery
Boyle, Walter John (Jack) 1894-1964
Born in 1894 to parents who had farmed in the Greenhills area for a long period, Walter John Boyle, was a very well-known resident of these parts. Jack Boyle was a lover of horses and was usually to be seen mounted on one of his ponies. He specialised in trading in brumby equines which he used to break in. Jack married Miss Ivy Grover, of Beverley, before the Great War and of the union a family of eight was born.
Draper, Norris James (Norrie) 1905-1983
Norrie Draper was born in 1905 the son of Alfred George and Hannah Rebecca Draper. He was very musical and was always requested to play the piano, which he could "by ear", and his banjo for all the local dances. He enlisted and served as a driver in World War Two. Norrie farmed with his brother Clarence at "Blackburn" on the Mawson road, East Beverley.
Kilpatrick, Fanny Louisa (nee Hancock) 1848-1927
Fanny was born at Boyadine one of the earliest settled locations on the Dale River. She first married George Fisher who drowned on the "Rosette" off the WA coast. Later she married David Fraser Kilpatrick and farmed at Beverley locality, Bally Bally, being one of the first three women in that area.
Robins, Beryl d1939 & Colleen d1944 - two children of Linda & Bill Robins who died young.
These two children of Linda & Bill Robins died young. The Robins were a Beverley couple who farmed during the Great Depression at Muckinbudin, later returning to farm at East Beverley. A third child, Laurence, was also deceased. However two other offspring, Colin and Maxine, thrived and now reside in Albany. The Robins retired from farm life to William Smith's house overlooking Beverley, "Oaklea".
Sewell, Annie Lucy (nee Robins) 1846-1938
Annie's parents were Elizabeth and Benjamin Robins who farmed at the Beverley locality of Bally Bally. In 1876 Annie was the first appointed teacher to the Beverley State School. She was obliged to board at the hotel that is now the Dead Finish Museum where there is a room set up in her honour with a copy of her appointment letter. She married widowed storekeeper, Henry Hawkins Sewell.
Smith, Hubert David 1897-1941
As a young man Hubert enlisted for service in the Great War in the 28th Battalion, served at Gallipoli and, after the evacuation to Egypt, was invalided home. In 1919 when the government opened the old Avondale Estate, four miles west of Beverley, for settlement by returned soldiers, he applied for and obtained a portion of land. He named his farm "Chocolate Hills" after the hills in Egypt.
Smith, William 1837-1926
William was a son of Charles and Ann Smith (nee Chapman) who moved in early 1840s to the land they were granted in Beverley and which they named "Roesland" after Surveyor General J S Roe. William was the first Mayor of Beverley Municipal Council which amalgamated with the Beverley Road Board in 1913 to form the Shire of Beverley and no longer has a mayor. He lived at "Oaklea" pictured in the Western Mail in 1899.
Strange, Andrew 1880-1966
Pioneering blood flowed in Sonny's veins as he was a member of the Strange family who had very early associations with the Dale area near Beverley. Sonny was one of the district's finest bushmen whose lifetime spent in the Dale country was lived in the best traditions of the Australian outback. Sonny died just a few weeks after his wife, Julie. Viewed as a real "Darby and Joan" their hospitality was known far and wide: it mattered not what walk of life a visitor came from, he or she was always invited in for a meal.